Last week I stayed at the Medina Executive South Yarra as invited by the Toga Hotel Group. Despite the fact I live only a short distance away in St Kilda, it was wonderful to experience the hotel/apartments and what it’s like to be a business traveler in Melbourne.
I took the opportunity to do a Sex in the City style night away with 2 of my business partners and besties, Sarah and Bec, and we had a fabulouos “Stay in the City” experience. We were welcomed with a bottle of Emeri Moscato and a thank you card and the 2 bedroom apartment was the perfect size for our girls group.
We took our laptops and worked together in the lounge room and actually got a lot done in this space. This would be a very comfortable place to base yourself in Melbourne for business for a short or longer period of time.
The apartments are homely enough to feel comfortable if staying for a few months but also have the full service offerings of a hotel. When you arrive at the hotel, which is very easy to find, you will be met by an elegant exterior and a prominent Medina sign telling you where you are.
Walk into the newly renovated foyer and enjoy this funky space for a moment before checking in. Also a great place to meet visiting guests or chill out in a different space to your room
The hotel reception staff were very friendly and helpful and answered all my queries, they also offered helpful advice for the area. We were delighted to know there was a pool and spa in the building and gym facilities if we felt so inclined.
We entered our 2 bedroom apartment room and were impressed with the funky, yet simple, décor and the spacious size of the room. We straight away stepped onto our large balcony with seating area to enjoy wonderful views of Melbourne. The bedrooms have great light coming in from large double glass doors which opened onto the balcony. The bathroom was also a good size and conveniently located. Again, a hotel in some ways but very much planned out with the comfort of your own apartment.
There is just something about hotel beds I love. So as you can see, I leapt in and tested this one out promptly. Devine. Large, comfortable and with lovely Manchester. I had a very sound sleep that night in my home away from home.
The kitchenette in the room is a great service and is well laid out. It actually reminded me of my old apartment in Sydney and I was very happy with all the facilities on offer. There is a dine-in menu for the hotel for those who want to have room service. Though as you are in one of Melbourne’s hot spots for great restaurants and dining experiences, I hope that you would venture out to Chapel Street or Toorak road to try some of the wonderful Melbourne food offerings.
3 things I liked the most:
– The great location. Short walk to the beautiful area of South Yarra, public transport and some of Melbourne cities most beautiful parks.
– The décor in the room – It’s essentially a hotel room but also an apartment. We felt very much at home and would be happy to be sent to a place like this for work.
– Free car parking- This is so difficult in cities and often hotels now charge for this. It was great to have easy access to our hotel and a safe place for our vehicle in a busy metropolitan area.
3 things I liked the least:
– Lack of wifi. Wifi was not included and we would have had to pay an hourly or daily rate via the website. The website wouldn’t connect so we couldn’t purchase the wifi, but were not inclined to do so as the rates weren’t very reasonable. We used our phone hot spots which can become costly. As a business accomodation, it would be great to have Wifi included.
– The fridge shelves – The drinks would fall out of the fridge door when we opened it. Small thing but it was an irritation.
– The movie and pay channels – This seems to be quite an outdated system for in room movie hire and the costs were high. Offer of Foxtel at a small extra charge or something along these lines would have been much better. We found the system confusing and were fearful of accidentally selecting a movie.
Despite any complaints, I was on the whole very impressed with the accommodation and service provided. Immaculate rooms, helpful and friendly staff, a lovely entrance and foyer area and prime location.
I do recommend the Medina Executive South Yarra to business travelers. Also to small groups visiting Melbourne who don’t want to pay exorbitant hotel prices in the centre of the city. The apartment style accommodation with kitchenette is much more homely and accommodating when you’re visiting a new city.
Thanks again for the opportunity. The girls and I had a wonderful stay
For more information, see the Medina Executive South Yarra website, or visit the Toga Group website for the many great hotel offerings around Australia.
About Medina Apartment Hotels
Apartment Space. Hotel Service. Medina Style.
A premier Australian brand, Medina is known and loved for its commitment to classic and sleek apartment hotel accommodation, offering guests their own private space that have been designed with elegance and style. A selection of studio rooms along with one, two and three bedroom apartments are available with separate living spaces, fully equipped kitchens and laundries. Medina Apartments Hotels come complete with all of the comforts of home and enough room to stretch out – a place to relax, entertain or work.
With locations across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Canberra and Wollongong; Medina is an ideal option for both business and leisure travellers. www.medina.com.au