Sometimes it’s easier to look at the negatives rather than the positives.
I turned 24 in August this year and on that morning chose to go for a big walk in the glorious sunshine and reflect on the year that was. As I walked past Luna Park in St Kilda, I thought this was the perefect analogy for my year. A rollercoaster ride of ups and downs- highs and lows. And as I marvelled at the enormous structure next to me,I remembered how much I love rollercoasters. I love the thrills, the spills, the unexpected and the infinite shape of this amazing rides. That’s what life is- a ride, a journey – and to be living, you gotta just ride it!
Another analogy I love that a friend gave to me was that of a heart monitoring machine. When you see those machines, you see little blips and bumps and troughs and highs, this means that you are alive!!! If you see a straight line, an even, expected, flat line – you are dead. The ups and downs, troughs and peaks are living. They represent LIFE!
So in the name of positivity, glass half full and always looking on the bright side of life, here are some highlights from the year that was:
- Graduating after 3.5 years of study from the University of Technology Sydney with a Bachelor of Business with Distinction. The Vice Chancellor and Deputy Vice Chancellor personally attended to watch me graduate
- Attending Snow University Games in Victoria and competing 1 year after I had broken my back
- Working at the V8’s in Bathurst at the Bathurst 1000 motor race
- Attending the wedding of an incredible couple in India and meeting the most incredible group of people for a week of partying in Mumbai
- Spending 1 month in England with family and friends
- Visiting 3 seperate friends in 2 seperate cities in Germany with my lovely Brother. Driving on the autobahn and learning so much more about Germany’s wonderful history.
- Watching the Superbowl in LA write off Hollywood Boulevard
- Driving to Palm Springs with my 87 y.o relative to visit his 91 y.o. millionaire mogul friend and staying on a golf course
- Riding a bike along Santa Monica and Venice Beach with my aussie pal
- Getting “stuck” in Miami after missing a flight – and buying up the entire mall
- Partying on a booze cruise and drinking far too much rum with my papa in Key West, Florida
- Taking a 7 day luxury cruise in the Carribean visiting Bahamas, St Maarten and St Thomas.
- Winning a Volleyball tournament on a cruise ship!
- Flying to Melbourne to “work” on the beach and stay in a pimped out apartment
- Winning an I phone and taking part in the Ben & Jerry’s Flavour Election Campaign- winning me lots of ice cream and some fab and fun new friends
- Moving to a new city. My new hometown of Melbourne, Victoria.
- Landing a job with a Travel Website and still getting to work freelance
- Travelling to Bangladesh for work and again meeting so many incredible and humbling people. Experiencing a totally new culture and making new friends along the way.
- Writing and being published as a Travel writer
August 20 2010 – August 20 1011.
Yep 23-24 wasn’t so bad.
What will you be looking back on as 2011 comes to a close?