Queenstown, New Zealand, is one of a kind! Magnificient views, amazing mountains, a lake surrounding the town and the most amazing bars and restaurants. You will never be bored in this town.
I visited Queenstown from 16-23 July for my annual ski trip. Little did I know that snowboarding would be just one of the many things that I would be doing here. You are literally spoilt for choice. However, unless you are cashed up, you’re not going to be doing an awful lot. The cool stuff definitely needs the dosh! But there are cheaper options.
I went with 2 girlfriends and got the most amazing deal. Fly into Christchurch to save yourself some serious cash ($600.00 saving for us) and do the lovely drive to Queenstown. Note: Don’t do the drive at night… the roads are mostly one lane and the fog in July is horrendous! So for $1200 we got 8 day car hire, Sydney – Christchurch return flights, 7 nights accomodation in the backpackers in the centre of town, 6 day lift pass for 4 different mountains and 1 night pass. Might I mention that 2 of those lift passes for the Wanaka region are also transferable for activities, dinners or tours! Amazing right!
So here is a list of some of the activities you can do. I have divided it into Cheap/ free and Expensive/ pricey. I shall write more detail about many of them in future posts so stay tuned:
– Massage, 1 hour ( though you can get some good deals)
– Canyon Swing
– Shotover Jet
– Buffet Dinner and Haka show at the Skyline restaurant – includes Gondola
-Lord of the Rings Tour
– Ski/ snowboard on one of the 4 mountains nearby – Treblecone, Cardrona, Remarkables or Coronet Peak
-Drinks at Ballarat – $8.50 for a drink, Atmosphere is amazing though!
CHEAP/ Less Money
– Walk around the beautiful town
– Mini golf – $18
– Frisbee Golf – Free from the hostels
– Hire a kayak or canoe
– FERGBURGER – $10-$15 a burger- share with a friend, cheaper!!!
-Cookie Time – $5 for a bag of broken giant cookies- amazing!
– Cook noodles in the hostel Kitcken – 60c per packet
– Dance in the bars – all free entry
– Buffalo on a Monday – $3 drinks all night!
– Pub crawl – $25 includes 6 drinks
– Drive ( if you have a car) to Cardrona Hotel for a yummy coffee and sit by the fire
– Onsen Pools – Hot baths, $30 per head for 3 or more!
TOO MUCH TO DO SEE!
1 week is not enough and 1 post is not enough.
Visit the Queenstown Tourism page for more ideas and activities:
Please post your tips here too!